LOCATION 39
 

 

MARINE PARADE – FORMER BATH HOUSE

By 1796 there were about eight houses on Marine Parade and in 1805, a small Bath House was built but this was replaced by a more elaborate building in 1828. The building was neoclassical with Doric columns. Here there were hot and cold salt and freshwater baths available. The water was pumped from the sea by a hydraulic engine and the water was heated with steam.

In 1895, the baths were replaced by the current building, which was originally a Gentlemen’s Club. It is now a guest house.