On this site, stood a large thatched house built of
cob after 1810, when a great flood, washed away the blacksmith’s shop
and cottage that were here. It also destroyed many other houses and
wrecked the newly created Lawn and water course.
In 1861, the house, known as Sea View House was advertised as “All that
genteel dwelling house with plot in front, with detached coach-house and
stable, … having a frontage of 132’ together with a small shop and yard
of 27’ frontage.”
Joseph Matthews bought the house. He and his wife, Amelia, lived in one
part; his son and daughter-in-law in another; and an officer’s widow and
her daughter in the third section.
By 1878, the house had been demolished for the construction of the
current Brookdale Terrace. And in 1889, the Devon and Cornwall Banking
Company bought the adjoining cottages and built the bank, which was
until recently, the Natwest bank.