THE OLD FIRE STATION
The first fire engine was only for those insured
with the Sun Insurance Co. Having been restored in 1914, this can now be
seen in Dawlish Museum.
In 1900, the town bought a horse drawn steam fire engine, which was
named Sir Redvers Buller, after a famous General. This was superseded by
a motorised vehicle, in 1930s which was housed in this new Fire Station
on Barton Hill.
The photo shows Dawlish Fire Brigade outside the Fire Station with the
Fire Engine in 1965. The Fire Brigade is now located in Oakhill Road at
the western edge of the town.