BARTONS AND BARTON TERRACE
Barton House and its estate known as The Bartons was
one the most important in Dawlish. The house stood on the site of the
present Barton Crescent. Its first known occupant was Sir Peter Balle in
1665. The Balles and their relatives, the Vernons and A’Courts lived
their until 1738, when it was lived in by Stephen Weston, Bishop of
The Manor was sold in 1800 to John Inglett Fortescue. Admiral Schank
owned it from 1807 and his family lived there until 1867, when it was
sold to Charles Gray.
The Terrace was originally a cul de sac as Barton Cottage stood near to
the Museum, blocking the way through, but it was demolished around 1870,
after Gray bought the old Barton House and planned to build
Barton Villas and Crescent.
Barton House was demolished and plans drawn up to develop Barton Meadow,
starting with Barton Terrace and the Crescent near the Church.
New Barton House and fourteen semi-detached villas called Barton Villas
and the first two houses in Barton Crescent were erected in 1870s -
reputedly built of sun-dried bricks from the Ashcombe valley. However,
finding buyers became difficult, so the rest of the land remained as
pasture and cattle were grazed on a field between the Masonic Hall and
the Villas until 1930s.
In 1871, the first house in Barton Terrace was put up for sale It
“First floor: dining room, parlour, servants’ hall, kitchen. Second
floor: drawling room with folding doors, two large bedchambers, dressing
room, water closet. Third floor: five good bedrooms. There is also a
garden plot and pump of water behind the house and ground for coach
house and stabling if wanted.” This house was named “Florinville”.
Nos 2, 3 and 4 and 8 were of the same neo-classic design.
Nos 5, 6 and 7 were built by 1839 and are of a different style and have
the original wrought iron gates and railings.
All the houses had gardens leading onto Barton Lane.
Barton Crescent was completed in stages in 1880s and 90s by different
developers. This is reflected in the varying styles of the houses.