FORMER POST OFFICE
The very first hospital facility for the poor -
Dawlish Cottage Hospital, at the junction of Regent Street and Park
Road, was opened in 1871. It had 6 beds and was supported by voluntary
contributions. Miss West was matron; Doctors F. M. Cann and Parsons were
acting medical officers.
As the road was very busy, straw was laid on the road outside to deaden
the noise of the horsesí hooves when they had a particularly sick
patient. The rules stipulated that no children under 4, no TB patients
and no-one with an infectious disease would be admitted. It closed after
9 years, when Dr Cann built the Cottage Hospital at the top of Hospital
In 1892, this was the West End post Office. The building had various
uses over subsequent years as a Chemist shop, an Opticianís in the
1920s. In the 1940s, it was a Gentlemanís Hairdressers before reverting
to being a private house.