This appears to be a continuation of the High Street
but in fact the main road used to continue through King Street and
Regent Street Ė Park Road was not built until the 1870s. Hatcher Street
was built around 1890 in this area known as the Park, where town events
and circuses were put on.
The RAFA building was the Cosenís Institute established by William
Cosens in 1865 for the benefit and improvement of the working men of
Dawlish through lectures. The management was vested in trustees, and
there were 100 members in 1878. The Working Men's Association was opened
every evening. There was a beautifully proportioned meeting room with a
plaster ceiling. A small museum, including old prints of Dawlish and the
library were housed there. RDH Barham, a rector from Cambridgeshire, who
retired to Dawlish in 1863, was also a well known geologist. He
classified fossils found on the beach and set up a valuable geological
collection in the institute.
In 1899, it became a Working Menís Club and later a Church Institute for
social and educational activities.
Further along there was a manís outfitters in 1910 called Lorams, where
the Conservative Club is now. and a shoe shop that had hundreds of boxes
of shoes and boots up to the ceiling in a confusing manner but if asked
for a particular shoe, the owner knew exactly where it was.
There was a Police Station that lasted until the 1960s and of course our
famous photographer, Chapman & Sons, had his studio and shop here.